Thursday, September 11, 2008

Prayers and Remembrances

Well, here we are again. Another Patriot's Day; another anniversary of the horrific attacks against our American culture. It is a day unlike any other day in our calendar year. Flags fly at half mast, church services are held in the middle of a week day, and our memories are collectively joined in remembrance of the events, and the sadness, of this day in history. Though we go about our business as though it is a normal day, we can't help but allow thoughts of those who perished to enter our minds. For some reason it seems that, on this day each year, we move a little slower and walk a little heavier as though we carry a burden - the burden of remembrance. I can't help but think that this must be how survivors of Nazi concentration camps felt for the rest of their lives. I believe that how we remember this day is the key to the recovery of our national psyche. Though sadness is a given, we must choose to remember that today is a new day and the fact that we are here and able to experience these memories, is a gift.

If the truth were to be told, I woke up this morning struggling with how to deal with my still raw emotions. I am a convicted believer in the power of prayer, so my first instinct was to pray. But for whom to pray became a struggle. I am still so very sad for the many people who lost their lives and, as a recovering Catholic, my first instinct was to pray for the souls of the "dearly departed". As a Catholic, many times I prayed, lit candles, and offered Masses so that the souls of those I loved would be granted access to eternal life because of the deposits I made into their "heavenly" accounts. These deposits, along with those made by the living person, would surely buy them a ticket out of purgatory and away from the gates of Hell.

But my belief system is different now and I know that the choice of our final destination is made by us before death comes. I have chosen to follow Christ and live eternally in a city paved with golden streets and lined with buildings made of the finest gemstones ever created; and, I know that many of those who died at the hands of people who will surely spend their own eternities in Hell, did so as well. They are the lucky ones who don't need my prayers. And those who didn't chose to accept Jesus and the salvation promised them, made the decision to abide in a place other than the magnificence of Heaven. All of the prayers, candles, and Masses in the world will not change or alter their circumstances. So, again, for whom do I pray?

The answer came from my amazing Pastor, after I approached him with my struggle. His answer was so simple that I actually felt stupid - pray for the living!! So today I ask God to be with the families and loved ones of those who left us on this date, 7 years ago. And I ask you to think about where you will go when death comes to you.

Peace Out!!

No comments: