Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Fun with Hanna (originally posted 9/6/08)

Let me start by saying that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE HURRICANES!!! I always have and I hope I always do. "Sure," you say, "you live in south central Pennsylvania. Bet you wouldn't love them so much if you lived in Florida or Louisiana!" "Oh, but I would" I say. (How weird is this, I'm now having conversations with myself!!) I love everything about them, from the anticipation days ahead of approach to the actualization of the winds and rain. For me, they're like a Christmas present wrapped in extreme weather.

The fun starts as soon as they show up on the Weather Channel satellites as they come off of the coast of Cape Verde, Africa. Though I have no clue where Cape Verde actually is, I love it. I want to go there!! It's the birthplace of my summer/fall fun. Once the Low (I know all of the lingo, too!) leaves Cape Verde and enters the Atlantic Ocean, I wait with baited breath for the official "naming". Now, of course, I already know what the name will be because I print out the list of names early on and keep it on my desk, but just the fact that my new "pet" has a name is thrilling. So this cute little one is named Hanna. She's, apparently, the run of this year's litter but exciting nonetheless.

I've watched Hanna since her birth and now she's here. It's been raining for hours and the wind will follow shortly. I've put in about a year's supply of batteries, candles, and toilet paper. I've put a huge "X" of duct tape over all of my windows (have no clue why I do that, but I do what I'm told by the National Hurricane Center). I've secured all of my outside decorations lest they become a projectile. In other words, I am a good soldier! The National Hurricane Center is my general and I respond quickly and efficiently. I am ready to go! Come on Hanna, let's rock and roll!!

I need to sign off now so that I can unplug my computer and, of course, my coffeemaker. I need to pour water down my sump pump pit to make sure it's working properly. I still have many things to do, oh my!! I'll be back as soon as Hanna moves on. Next up - Ike.....

Peace Out!

No comments: