Tuesday, September 9, 2008

And the Republican Nominee for VP is...(originally posted 9/4/08)

...The Hot Chick????

OMG!! Did you see the buttons and signs announcing Sarah Palin as "The Hot Chick"? I could have died when I saw a male octogenarian with a campaign button on his lapel that boldly stated, "Hoosiers for The Hot Chick", with a picture of Ms. Palin! Now I am the first to admit that some of what you see at these conventions, no matter the party, are slightly otherworldly (i.e., the hats that look like alien spacecraft atop a human head!). And normally, I wouldn't have batted an eye at this dude's campaign button but then I saw a few signs also pronouncing adoration for "The Hot Chick". I was, and still am, blown away that anyone would refer to a woman of her caliber, and her political stature, as something so obviously tacky! What has happened to the Grand Ole' Party? Have they gone over to the dark side of seediness? Is this how they view their esteemed nominee? I can just hear it now: "Ladies and Gentlemen, please rise for a flute rendition of our National Anthem, performed by former Miss Alaska runner-up, and our beloved Vice President, The Hot Chick." Think about it.

And while we're discussing the evening's events, I am willing to make a small wager that there isn't a polyester necktie to be found in any WalMart from California to Delaware. I don't think I've seen so many ties worn in one location since the wedding scene in "The Godfather, Part I". Why the heck was everyone so dressed-up? Oh, right, The Hot Chick was speaking!!

While my heart is bleeding for the potential fall of this great nation should this group be elected, the person I feel the sorriest for is Bristol Palin's baby daddy. Did you see the poor kid; if he could have jumped out of his skin, he would have. Last week he was a typical 18 year old; having fun with his boys, writing life revealing facts on his MySpace page, and schtupping the 17 year old daughter of The Hot Chick. Life was good! And now, well suffice it to say, his MySpace page is history, his boys are running for the hills, and I'll bet ya' The Hot Chick's daughter is totally off limits, at least until the shotgun wedding is over. Poor, poor Levi!! Hang in there, kid. I suspect your life will return to normal, come November 5th!!

Can you tell my tone has changed a bit? This is mostly due to the fact that my 22 year old son, Patrick, railed on me last night because he felt that I was holding back on this blog. He asked me why I wasn't writing the same things I was saying. When I told him that I didn't want to offend anyone, he let me have it. "Blogs", he said, "are meant to stir the pot, Mom. Write what you are feeling". So I will, Pat, I promise I will! Also, The Hot Chick took off her gloves last night, and I will now do the same. After all, All is fair in love, war, and politics. Right?

And, last but not least, today is a very special day in our house. My youngest child, my beautiful daughter, Nina, turns 16 today! She is an amazing young woman with intelligence, compassion, and strength of character. I am excited to watch her grow into her full potential because I believe, in my heart of hearts, that the world will be her oyster. There is nothing that is not within her reach if she decides to grab it. My prayer for you, my darling Nina, is that God will bless you as profoundly as He blessed me when He delivered you into my life and my heart!

Peace out!!

No comments: