Tuesday, October 7, 2008

She's Baaaaaaack!

I have returned from the 6 best days of my life! Nina and I spent almost an entire week together in Orlando and it was terrific. We laughed constantly as we soaked up the amazing Vitamin D that only central Florida sunshine can provide. It was a real "Thelma and Louise" adventure and I can't wait to do it again. We visited theme parks, saw several shows, and shopped to our hearts content. There were no men around to tell us to put our credit cards away and we had fun, fun, fun!! But the best part was just being with my baby girl!! She has turned into an incredible young woman and I enjoy her company completely. For those women out there with teenage girls, I would highly recommend this one-on-one time; before long, they'll be mothers themselves.

There was a downside, though. My time with Nina reflected my advancing age and I found myself acting, more often than not, like an old woman. I've definitely lost my keen sense of direction which was evident in the fact that those extremely large traffic signs no longer catch my attention. How many times can you drive around Orlando International Airport before you finally see the King Kong size signs pointing the way to the Rental Car Return? Before this trip, I would have known where it was before I even left the resort. Not this time. If I didn't have Nina with me, there would be a story on CNN today about the lady who had spent the last 24 hours circling the airport.

Then, as horrible as this sounds, there were the times when I'd just wander away from my daughter, for no reason at all. I was like the 2-year old who needs a leash. In fact, I suggested that to Nina but she wouldn't have anything to do with dragging her mother around the Magic Kingdom by leash. But the wandering wasn't nearly as bad, I'm told, as the ever present absent look on my face. I know that face. It's an old woman's face. And now, apparently, it's become my face. Oh, Heaven, help me. I knew it would happen before long, but I prayed that it wouldn't happen until I was old enough not to notice. But notice, I did, and now I'm afraid, really afraid!! I think I'll be lucky if the only thing I need is a leash.

Life, nonetheless, is great and I am one proud Mama; proud of both of my kids, and proud that God found me worthy to be their mother.

Peace Out!!

No comments: