Wednesday, October 8, 2008

And I Thought I Was Old...

...But did you see John McCain last night? I spent all day yesterday feeling sorry for myself because of the encroaching signs of age which are becoming more evident in my daily life. Today, though, I'm feeling really sorry for John; poor thing just couldn't pull it off. For those of you who are old enough to remember, did it remind you of the 1960 Presidential Debate? In that one, we had nervous, sweaty Richard Nixon against handsome, young John Kennedy. The difference in age and virility between those two candidates was flashed before our eyes on the television screen, just as it was last night. And many historians claim that it was that debate that turned the tide in favor of Jack Kennedy. Which ever of the McCain campaign geniuses who thought this would be a shining format for John, should be fired along with the makeup artist who made him look like eerily ghostlike. The dude is already pale, for pity's sake; a little color would have gone a very long way.

And "my friends", let's not forget the sneers, snickers, and ridiculous jokes. How do you spell D-E-S-P-E-R-A-T-I-O-N? Oh, I know, I'm gloating; but I really can't help it. The guy creeps me out and, according to the polls, a greater majority of Americans are now feeling my concerns. Do you really want this guy representing our country. "W" was bad enough but at least he doesn't look like an escaped character from "Night of the Living Dead". Hair plugs? You've got to be kidding me? It's gonna' take a lot more than hair plugs to prove that blood flow through his veins!

But in John's defense, it was going to be very difficult for him to outshine the brilliance of Barack. His thoughtful intelligence is certainly refreshing. His professorial demeanor is calming in a time of tremendous volatility. And his youthful virility is energizing. He was, in a word, presidential. Finally, an American President who will appear and behave presidential. It's been a long time coming, but the time has finally come again.

Peace Out!!

No comments: